Come with us to explore Xiaomi Mi Box Android Oreo beta re-opened after users have tons of issues
The Xiaomi Mi Box recently received the much-awaited update to Android Oreo, after the device was seemingly abandoned when an Android Nougat update never came. While the update worked, the number of bugs present in the final release was overwhelming. Testers felt that they weren’t being heard, and key functionality was left out that meant some Xiaomi Mi Box devices were completely unusable for their initial purpose. Now the founders of xiaomi.eu have taken it up with Xiaomi, and the rollout has been canceled with the Android Oreo beta program being re-opened.
All users will be receiving an OTA soon which should fix the most important issues currently, such as those with HDCP 2.2 and NTFS. HDCP 2.2 is copy protection used for 4k video, while NTFS storage supported is required for those with a USB hard drive hooked up to their Xiaomi Mi Box. There is no need to request beta access to receive this update. Other bugs that need to be fixed include slow Wi-Fi, which is caused by a bugged Broadcom driver, the remote and microphone unpairing with the Mi Box intermittently, and a number of AAC 5.1 and Dolby issues. That’s only a fraction of some of the bugs you may find with the Xiaomi Mi Box on Android Oreo. You can check out the master bug list here which we’ve added below.
Xiaomi Mi Box Android Oreo update bug list as of July 7th, 10:02PM, Beijing Standard Time
- Refresh Rate not working
- Auto resolution switching not working
- Can’t install anything from Aptoide TV
- Google Android Oreo OS bug where Ethernet appears to be slow to connect after boot up
- Double pressing the remote Back button on the Home Screen does not Shortcut to ATV Android settings as would be expected
- OTA TV De-interlacing (using AMLogic MediaCodec) is still half motion and mpeg2 picture quality is blocky if used with Kodi Krypton/Leia PVR’s or the TvHeadend Live Channels App
- AAC 5.1 not working on plex ( video not smooth at all ! ) ( AC3 is working fine )
- Need to force dolby to get partial passthrough on plex
- Audio non-functioning after long standby
- Box non-responsive after long standby
- Remote intermittent issues with pairing, including microphone
- Mic button on remote triggers only global search/assistant and cannot be remapped to app search
- NTFS and exFAT not recognised [PARTIALLY FIXED IN INTERNAL BETA 06.07.2018]
- The Archos Media Player, VLC and v3.7.0 MrMC Apps appear to be able to read NTFS Hard Drives
- Slower WiFi data transfer rates and WiFi dropouts reports by some users vs the previous Marshmallow Firmware. [BROADCOM DRIVER ISSUE]
- Slow AC WiFi speeds [BROADCOM DRIVER ISSUE]
- DD+ Netflix & other Apps like Kodi – bitstreaming audio dropouts, especially when used with WiFi only.
- No 5.1 Netflix audio if you use a Dolby Digital only HDMI connected audio receiver, even tho the Mi Box is Dolby Audio Licensed.
- ASIX & Realtek chipset based USB3 > Gigabit LAN adapters appear to work only if you use DHCP on your home router.
- Bug reports submission: When APP crashes window to report bug or close APP is missing in Oreo
- Bluetooth Sync (Pairing with 3rd Party peripherals is not working well e.g. MYMobile RKGAME4th gamepad)
- YouTube APP, rewinding videos leads to APP crash and boot loop
- White DOT artifact (https://github.com/wrxtasy/LibreELEC.tv/blob/master/projects/Odroid_C2/initramfs/platform_init#L35) (https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/oreo-update-screen-artifacts-now-appearing-non-stop.44745/) (https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/weird-stuck-dot-left-of-the-screen.44730/)
- Netflix intermittently choppy playback
- DTS Sound not working with Kodi
- Kodi issue for Dolby and DTS compatible receivers disappeared now only option is Number of Speakers and Passthrough (used to show: Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver; Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver; DTS capable receiver; TrueHD capable receiver;DTS-HD capable receiver on MM)
- Sound decoding for any sound format just shows as PCM on the Receiver (used to show Dolby, Dolby +, ProLogic II, DTS Sound, ATMOS on MM)
- After disconnecting AndroidTV remote app from phone the on screen keyboard never appears unless the box is reset
- Unofficial remote ‘OK’ button is opening context menu for APPs on home screen instead of opening the APP directly
- FLAC files with VLC from the USB drive, sound jitter issue with Music Player and Google Play Music
- Volume issue with Creative T30 wireless speakers : only the 4 lowers volume levels change the volume, at the 4th level, the sound max is already at its maximum. After the 4th level, sometimes it goes up, and goes back to previous level, but without changing the effective volume on the speakers.
- Decoding problems with audio stream (mp2) in android livechannel
- USB LAN adapter not recognised / working (https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/mi-box-oreo-ota-update-mi-usb-lan-adaptor-stop-working.44710/)
- Youtube – all Videos have a green screen though Audio is fine [ISSUE FOUND AFTER UPGRADE TO 1st INTERNAL BETA]
So what’s next for Xiaomi? While we can expect to see an update come out this week to fix two of the more pressing issues, those using Plex and Kodi will have a lot of problems for the foreseeable future. We can only hope that fixes come quickly, with the beta testing team this time around stopping Xiaomi from releasing another update, which may render some devices useless. A lot of credit definitely has to go to MarkHUK of the xiaomi.eu forums though, as without him taking it up with Xiaomi themselves there’s no way of knowing how users may have suffered.
Thanks XDA Member flipside101 for the tip!
Source : Xiaomi Mi Box Android Oreo beta re-opened after users have tons of issues
Key : Xiaomi Mi Box Android Oreo beta re-opened after users have tons of issues, Xiaomi Mi Box Android Oreo beta re-opened after users have tons of issues, Xiaomi Mi Box Android Oreo beta re-opened after users have tons of issues